One-eyed and Titanic

 

Valentina

I think my first time seeing a cyclops was on the timeless classic: Clash of The Titans (1981). I remembered it as a massive one-eyed oaf. Brutal strength tempered by a dim wit. In developing this race I decided to stick with this take and add a little bit of humor.

To be honest though I have found that a little challenging. Thinking back to all of the movies in times passed I asked myself: "Where have I seen the combination of cruel, powerful, dumb and funny?" Unfortunately  recollecting a fitting reference was a dead-end.

There was this three movie franchise in the eighties and nineties called "Gremlins" where the combination of cruel and funny was attempted. Unfortunately, it fell short of success. There were moments that made the audience laugh but it would be easy to argue that the music and sound effects played a big role.

There is also the scene where Bilbo Baggins outsmarted the trolls in the Lord of The Rings storyline. Regrettably, this was more of a situational based humor. But the 3 Stooges-like arguement leading to their undoing sent me down a train of thought that rumbled the creative ground around me.

What if Cyclops had the mental and expressive aptitude of a four year old? Toddlers can be downright hilarious without even trying. Now mind you my daughter will be 16 beginning of the year next year. Suffice to say it has been a few 24hrs since I have had toddler content to glean from.

Nonetheless, this ideology has propelled us down the tracks of creativity while giving birth to their culture. You will find it's influence in the naming of both character names as well as that of locations. We also forsee opportunities to play on this angle graphically as well.

As you can see from the picture inset, the commissioned artwork has been completed. We could not be more satisfied with her work. Not only has she delivered an amazing rendition of our game's mascot, but her art technique is exactly what our team has been looking for. Praise God for this connection.

As always we want to hear from you. So email us, comment on this post or join our Facebook group and make some noise. Input is not only welcome but greatly appreciated. 


Nathan Wing 

Developer Producer

nathan.epimetheus@gmail.com 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exploring the Countryside

2024 with a BANG!!!

A Brief Overview